The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Title: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Director: Peter Jackson
Score: 8/10

When I first heard that they were turning The Hobbit (a 400 page book) into three movies, I thought they were overdoing it a bit. Nevertheless, I am glad they are overdoing it.

This movie was far better than the first one which only seemed to serve as an introductory episode. The Desolation of Smaug was action-packed, hilarious at times, had a very solid storyline and was a visual spectacle (what else does anyone need from a good film?).

First of all, there are a lot of elves (the best nation of creatures in my opinion) which makes a lot of the characters beautiful to look at. There's a strong and independent female character, and there's the amazing Legolas. I had a feeling the script writers were reading my mind by this point.

The film also provides a more in-depth background of what happened to the dwarves in the past and even Gimli's father is included (who has an amazing conversation with Legolas regarding the photo of Gimli he carries on him).

Smaug himself is a visual spectacle. I had wondered how they were planning on depicting him in the film and he really didn't disappoint. The detail was spectacular (too many spectacles and spectaculars in this review). It can easily be seen that a lot of work must have gone in to create him.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this film and I believe everyone will leave it feeling slightly bewildered and significantly entertained.

*The product artwork I use within this review is taken from Wikipedia in order to identify the subject of the review. It is low enough in resolution such that it could not be used as counterfeit or pirated material.

0 comments: