The Wolf of Wall Street


Title: The Wolf of Wall Street
Director: Martin Scorsese
Score: 7/10



I have been continually impressed by the product of the collaborations between Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio so I had extremely high expectations of this film and I was not disappointed.

Technically speaking it was probably one of the best of Scorsese's latest movies and DiCaprio's acting was superb. I genuinely cannot think of a single actor who would make a better 'Wolf'. DiCaprio portrayed the depravity and extremity of the millionaire lifestyle with such accuracy that the audience was often left gaping in awe. This perfect acting even made the fact that an almost 40 year old DiCaprio was at times acting a 20-something Jordan Belfort forgivable.

This does not, however, mean that The Wolf of Wall Street was easy to watch. Even the sheer hilarity of the film at times couldn't soften the disturbance one felt while watching the many scenes which depicted extreme drug abuse and 'in your face' sex acts. This certainly is not a criticism directed towards the movie. If anything I believe Scorsese and DiCaprio have shown great courage in portraying a life honestly with all it's extremities. I have not personally read the autobiography on which this movie was based but from what I understand most important events were depicted in exactly the same way as the book describes them.

All in all, I highly recommend this film. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it's a light-hearted comedy you can enjoy on a Friday afternoon.

*The product artwork I use within this review is taken from Wikipedia in order to identify the subject of the review. It is low enough in resolution such that it could not be used as counterfeit or pirated material.

0 comments: