How to Train Your Dragon 2


Title: How to Train Your Dragon 2
Director: Dean DeBlois
Score: 7/10
Who hasn't loved How to Train Your Dragon (the original)? I was really looking forward to the sequel and thought I would be abroad and not be able to catch it on the day of release and yet I was incredibly lucky to just chance upon a preview. 

As with every sequel that comes after a much loved book/ movie, I was worried that it wouldn't be very good and that in a way it would 'ruin' the original. I needn't have worried. 

This film is heartwarming and very entertaining. I still wouldn't say I prefer the sequel to the original (unlike Despicable Me 2) but it was probably as good. 

The film really tests the strength of the relationship between Toothless and Hiccup. How much can a dragon be 'tamed' and will their instincts/ mother nature win?

With some amazing scenes, How to Train Your Dragon 2 rounds up as a sweet and very successful film despite some loopholes in the plot.

PS. I'm not entirely sure whether the generalisation 'All sequels are bound to fail' is still valid. True, Toy Story 3 seemed to be the only exception for a good long while but we've had quite a few decent ones since. I can only hope that Finding Dory will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

PS. I have also decided to come up with a logical numbering system (it seems I'm only capable of awarding 7's and 8's). This may mean a re-numbering of previous review scores.

*The product artwork I use within this review is taken from Wikipedia in order to identify the subject of the review. It is low enough in resolution such that it couldn't be used as counterfeit or pirated material.

0 comments: